Welcome

I'm so glad you decided to join me on my blog. I'll offer product tips, techniques and information. You'll also see the more personal side of our business. I hope you'll enjoy following us on this new journey. Carol

Thursday, January 10, 2013

New Wall Hanging Project

Ok. I know Christmas just ended and you're probably wondering why I would post a Christmas themed project when you just finished putting all the decorations away. Two reasons - One I just finished it and really wanted to share it with you. Two - There's plenty of time to get started on it now and finish it in time for next Christmas.

This wall hanging in this post is my version of the Santa Portrait Trio Pattern by Bird Brain Designs. I have posted pictures in previous blog posts about the blocks. Now I have put them together.

Santa Portrait Trio Pattern Photo


I knew when I decided to make this that I wanted to keep the feel of a portrait but I also wanted to do something different. I wanted it to be a quilted project rather than a framed piece. I finished stitching the blocks and set them aside until I figured out how to set them. I toyed with traditional sashing and possibly little stitched cornerstones but that was too obvious and kind of boring. Then I thought of Attic Windows but I still didn't think it was the right setting.

You never know when or where inspiration will strike. I was in Michael's one day looking for I don't even remember what. I walked past the picture frames and I had the solution to my problem. Here's my inspiration.


Once I had the plan I was really excited to get going on it. I decided that I wanted to do 8" x 10" blocks so they would be a standard photo size. So I trimmed my blocks to 8 1/2" x 10 1/2".

Next came the math part. I decided to have a 1" finished border around my blocks. I measured the size of the small black border in the photo and the white piece between the pictures. I used those measurements to apply the same ratio to my project. I used the same technique to choose the two outer borders. Keeping with the style of the sample frame, I mitered all of my borders.

There was a lot of "dead" space in the first wide border. I quilted a holly motif on the top and bottom borders. In the center of the sides I quilted a single Christmas Tree and finished the rest of the side borders with the same holly motif. 

Now for the finished project.

My Santa Portrait Trio Wall Hanging

Here's what it looks like on the back.

Quilting Detail

We usually think of a color for borders and sashing fabrics. I know that had I done it that way it would have been a completely different look. When I look at the finished product, I think I achieved the look I was going for. It looks like framed Santa photos.

Happy Quilting and Stitching,

Carol








No comments:

Post a Comment