Welcome

I'm so glad you decided to join me on my blog. I'll offer product tips, techniques and information. You'll also see the more personal side of our business. I hope you'll enjoy following us on this new journey. Carol

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

A Fun Non-Sewing Project

My oldest daughter is expecting a baby girl in March. Her two sisters and I threw a baby shower for her over the weekend. I had seen pictures of Diaper Cakes on Pinterest. There are a couple cute diaper themed gifts on my Grandchildren Board. I decided that I would make a Diaper Cake for her shower gift.

I found a great tutorial that has a video. I opted for doing one where the diapers are flat instead of rolled. I used an 8" cake pan and a 10" basket (because I didn't have a larger cake pan) as my "molds" and my reusable water bottle in the center to build it around.



I used Pampers Sesame Street diapers (that is what I had leftover from my granddaughter who is potty trained now). Tristyn is really tiny and I figure you need every size diaper so why not use what I had. They actually worked great because there is a lot of subtle color in them so it wasn't a stark white cake.

When I removed the water bottle I put burp cloths and washcloths in the openings. I used raffia, which I removed later, to tie the diapers in place at the top and bottom. I wrapped a wide ribbon around the middle to permanently secure it then added a thinner pink ribbon to add a little more color. I built it on a  plastic cake plate so it could be easily moved later and to make it look more like a cake.

I wanted to add some other little goodies. I was going to make roses from the washcloths and some Onesies but I wasn't happy with the look. In this case, less is definitely better. I finally decided that I would put several pairs of socks in between the layers. I folded each sock so the ruffled edge was facing out and put them in place all the way around. They were the icing between the layers. There were a lot of comments about how cute that looked when she opened it.

One of my favorite books is Love You Forever. I wrote a message to my daughter inside the cover and put that with it.


The baby's room has a giraffe theme and I made two stuffed giraffes. I used one as the cake topper and the other next to the cake. Here's the finished product.


I wrapped the whole thing in pink tulle and made a bow with ivory tulle. My daughter loved it. 

This was a fun and very easy project to make. It is a functional, practical gift but done in a fun way. I would definitely recommend it if you're looking for an interesting gift for a baby shower or a newborn baby gift. Anyone can do this.

Enjoy a fun no sewing required project.
Carol




3 comments:

  1. Hi Sweetie! What day in March is she due? Tory is due on the 1st! Us grandmas....we have to keep up with each other don't we.
    You amaze me that you even have time to put on a shower lady!! How is your traveling schedule this year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Carol, I bet it was fun to put together, now that you're home and have a little more time to do stuff. Enjoy and enjoy the next baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing, it is sooo darling. Expecting my very first grand baby in August. So excited and I think this will be so perfect. Look forward to seeing you at the
    Phoenix show. So sad it will be the last. Love the amazing red work and quilts you do. I am always treated so well when I visit your shop.

    ReplyDelete