Welcome

I'm so glad you decided to join me on my blog. I'll offer product tips, techniques and information. You'll also see the more personal side of our business. I hope you'll enjoy following us on this new journey. Carol

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Table Runners Galore

No matter how hard I tried to make my new studio space organized in our move in September, it just didn't work according to plan. My room ended up being the, dare I say it, dump everything in there and close the door room during the holidays. It's too embarrassing to post pictures although maybe a Before and After would be impressive (when the After is actually accomplished). Now that I have packed up everything from Christmas, it is time to clean things up in there so I can get back to work.

I just decided to take things one box or pile at a time. The first box I came to had some small quilts and table runners. When I worked in a quilt shop I taught a lot of classes. The classes that tended to do well were table runners. Students can complete most, if not all, of the top in an all day class. I never really used them on tables. Most of them hung in our booth at shows off and on over the years.

One of my favorite patterns was called Four Seasons Table Runners by Black Cat Creations. This is the Spring Table Runner. I colored the flowers and leaves with crayons and then hand embroidered around them. I used a heavy weight thread in the bobbin and did  bobbin work flowers on the two ends.


This is one of my favorites because I love blue and yellow together. This is the Summer design. The flowers are fusible applique. I just meander quilted the whole thing.


My favorite season is Fall. It was always my favorite season when we lived in the East. So this table runner with Fall leaves is special to me. I did free motion zigzag stitches around the fused leaves. It gives them a more realistic look because leaves really aren't very smoothe around the edges. I quilted this one with lines and loops. I wanted to create movement so it looks like the leaves are blowing in the wind.


This is the Christmas design. I like the crisp white background in contrast to the reds and greens. I did an allover free motion quilting design with small holly leaves.



The last one I found is called Stars and Bars. It was in an Eleanor Burns book. I have to admit it isn't my best binding job. I'm not sure what was going on when I bound this one. Part of me wants to rip it out and do it all over but that isn't going to happen. It is what it is.


There may be more in another box somewhere. I made others and donated them to auctions as fundraisers and I sold a couple as well. So I can't remember if this is all I have left.

Here's my question. Now that I have a home that I'm starting all over again in, do I put these out even though they don't go with the decor? I'm planning to have a table that I rotate different holiday decorations on so I'm thinking of putting them on that table throughout the year. Do you make your table runners to match your decor or do you do them for holidays and occassions in seasonal colors? I'd love to know what you think.

Happy Quilting,

Carol





No comments:

Post a Comment