Welcome

I'm so glad you decided to join me on my blog. I'll offer product tips, techniques and information. You'll also see the more personal side of our business. I hope you'll enjoy following us on this new journey. Carol

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Make Your Own Double Fold Bias Tape

I'm working on a pennant banner from the pattern Celebration.



It calls for a package of Wrights Extra Wide Double Fold Bias Tape (1/2") . I decided that I wanted to use a fabric to coordinate with the project instead so I made my own. Here's how I did it.

I cut 1 3/4" wide strips of fabric into long bias strips. I was working with about 1/4 yard of fabric so for my particular banner I needed 5 strips of fabric. If you need help with this you can read this earlier Blog Post on how to cut long bias strips with straight cuts rather than cutting them on a 45 degree angle. Basically you fold the fabric on the bias and cut. It is a super easy way to make bias strips and works with any fabric, any length and any width.

I used the From Marti Michell Corner Trimmer to take off the points from each end. This is definitely one of my Must Have tools. It makes a task like this so much easier.


Now with the points trimmed off you can see how easy it is to line up the strips. You are lining up a straight side to a straight side - piece of cake.



I used a 1/4" seam allowance and pressed the seams open.



Next I folded the strip in half lengthwise. I know that the photo looks like the strip isn't the same width, but it is. Sorry about that. If you look closely you can see the fold line along the length.


Next I folded and pressed the top of the strip so that it lined up with the center fold. Since the fabric is on the bias the strip looks curved but it is straight. It's just the camera angle and the way I had it positioned for the picture.


Then I folded the bottom of the strip to the center. Both raw edges meet at the center. It is important that they meet and don't overlap.


The last step is to fold it again along that center line. You end up with a long piece of double folded "bias tape."


I like the flexibility of being able to use fabrics that compliment my project rather than stock, boring bias tape that you would buy in the fabric store.

As soon as I have given away the project I was working on, there will be a link to that blog post.

Happy Sewing,

Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment