Welcome

I'm so glad you decided to join me on my blog. I'll offer product tips, techniques and information. You'll also see the more personal side of our business. I hope you'll enjoy following us on this new journey. Carol

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Frozen Dresses Part 2

I decided to start with Anna's cape. I thought it would be a good way to ease into both of these projects. If she wants to Tristyn can wear the cape by itself.

I was right. It was a very easy project. I did the whole thing in an afternoon.

Here are the pieces all cut out and ready to sew.


The pattern called for ball fringe to put around the cape overlay. I couldn't find a ball fringe that went with the fabrics. But I did find this cute trim. It looked like it might be hard to sew in place so I decided to apply some fusible web to the back to help it stick to the fabric.



The project has several pieces that are fused to the cape fabric. Since most of the fabrics are felt I wasn't worried that they would fray. However, since it is for a little girl who loves to wear all of her princess dresses, I think it will probably get washed. So I decided to just do a straight stitch close to the edge of those pieces. I also decided to do a straight line of stitching on each side of the fusible on the trim after I fused it in place.

I'm happy with how the cape turned out. 


Next comes the dress. It will be at least a few days before I have a chance to get to that. Until I get an electrician into my studio to get some canned lights I can only work during the day. And life will be getting in the way of play during the day for the rest of the week.

Happy Sewing,
Carol

2 comments:

  1. What kind of felt do you use. I didn't know felt is washable.So I'd like to be able to sew felt for different projects for my 5 grandchildren .
    Also the cape is so lovely .... Is the pattern (Butterick,Simplicity,McCalls or ?) available for purchase.
    colleen1990atyahoodotcom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colleen - It is 50" or wider felt that I bought at Jo-Ann's. The fabric care instructions say you can wash it on delicate and dry it on low. So I'm going to give that a try.

      Delete