Welcome

I'm so glad you decided to join me on my blog. I'll offer product tips, techniques and information. You'll also see the more personal side of our business. I hope you'll enjoy following us on this new journey. Carol

Monday, April 1, 2013

Batting Tape

I have a big plastic bin full of batting scraps of all sizes. For some reason I feel the need to keep any leftover piece of batting that I "might" be able to use later. Often times the piece I pull out to use is just a little bit too small. If I'm doing a big quilt sometimes I just need a little more length or width.

When I first started quilting I learned how to sew two pieces of batting together. This was time consuming and somewhat frustrating because it didn't always lie flat. I found Heat and Press Batting Tape a couple years ago and have used it with success. The only thing I don't like about it is the material it is made from. It is shiny and kind of "plasicy" feeling. You can see it is kind of shiny.

Heat and Press Batting Tape

When I heard that From Marti Michell products has a Batting Tape too, I was very excited to try it. This is a fusible too but it has a more cottony feel to it. The best analogy I can use is that the one I used before is like adhesive tape where as Marti's is like the paper type adhesive tape.

Marti's Choice Batting Tape
The lighter weight and fabric like fiber makes it much easier to quilt through either by hand or by machine. It is also the ideal way to use Marti's Low Fat Quilting Method described in her Machine Quilting in Sections book.


This quilt as you go method can be applied to any quilt you're making. It is a great way to quilt a larger quilt on your domestic sewing machine.

Now I will enjoy piecing all those not quite the right size batting pieces even more.

Happy Quilting!
Carol



2 comments:

  1. Seems it would be nicer to have the softer adhesive one. I want my quilts to be soft, why put something "plastic" in it!

    ReplyDelete